Review the Application Exercise Grading Rubric for this assignment in order to see the criteria for how you will be graded.
- identify the steps in maintaining a food diary
- identify the personal challenges experienced in maintaining this assessment
- calculate the daily requirements of carbohydrates, fats and protein for themselves
- compare the recommended daily allowances for carbohydrates, fats and protein to their own requirements.
- apply this information to the development of a dietary care plan for a patient and/or the patient’s family.
Collect 3 full days of dietary information about your own dietary intake. Log on to My Pyramid/My Plate (Or any software/website you like or use.) and use the food tracker to collect the information. You will be submitting this diary. Create a word document of the food tracker by copying and pasting. Copy the link to the food tracker or the site you have chosen to use and put at the top of your paper.
When you have completed the food diary, answer the following questions.
- Briefly describe two or three challenges you faced while completing the food diary. For example, did you remember to do it after eating or did you have to try to remember what you had eaten after you ate?
- If you were taking care of a patient, and you were assessing their dietary intake using a food diary, are there other directions that you would include to get the most accurate information possible? Describe what you would do.
Part II: (Put your answers to number 1 and 2 in a chart for easier comparison.)
1. Determine your daily requirement for carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Be sure to list the daily requirement of these nutrients.
2. Next, calculate your actual intake for the three day period for proteins, carbohydrates and fats. Be sure to list your daily intake of these nutrients.
3. Describe what you found.Were you within the expected intake? Explain, too high, too low?
- What changes do you think you should make to your diet?
5.If you were the nurse counseling a patient like yourself, what recommendations would you make?