For this assignment, you will read a short story involving a fictional perceptual experience. You will analyze the story in the context of what we know about perception. Late submissions will be accepted until August 14th, subject to a 10% late penalty. The goals of the assignment are:
· To extend and apply your knowledge of perception, such as by predicting the perceptual consequences of a sensory modification or technology
Read the Greg Egan short story “Instantiation” closely. Consider the details of its plot in the context of what you have learned about perception throughout this course. Write a 300 to 500 word essay discussing the plausibility of the fictional perceptual experiences described in the story, with careful reference to the story, your textbook, and perhaps to other scholarly sources.
Your essay should answer these questions:
· Briefly, what happened in the story?
· Which of the fictional perceptual experiences described in the story are plausible or implausible, given what we know about perception today? Why do you think so? Which specific sources support your claims?
Your target reader is an expert in the psychology of perception who has not read the short story. Your writing style should be suitable for a journal article: concise, somewhat formal prose. Write your essay in the third person. Use the active voice as much as possible. Use a workplace-appropriate style. Proofread carefully.
Use one-and-a-half line spacing. You don’t need a title page. Put your name, student number and course (PSYCH 306) on the first page of the assignment.
Put your essay word count in the comments on the dropbox. The bibliography is not part of your word count.
I will award bonus marks for essays that extend this analysis to another modality.
· Imagine and describe an analogous modification/technology to a different sensory system.
· What might that perceptual experience be like, given what we know about perception today? Why do you think so? Which specific sources support your claims?
You may take up to 100 additional words to explore this idea.
Review the rubrics for the assignment carefully.
Submit one file to the assignment dropbox on LEARN:
· 300 to 500 word essay (600 with bonus content) with APA-style citations and bibliography (DOC, DOCX or PDF format)